Apr. 19, 2023

HARRISBURG – Rep. Lee James (R-Venango/Butler) and Sen. Scott Hutchinson (R- Butler/Clarion/Erie/Forest/Venango/Warren) announced the Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority (PENNVEST) awarded just over $4 million in grant and low-interest loan funds to two projects in Venango County to go toward improving water quality.

“These upgrades were desperately needed to ensure residents in the 64th District would have continuous access to clean water,” said James. “I am pleased to see PENNVEST provide the means necessary so municipalities can provide the best service.”

“I’m glad to see these infrastructure funds help to defray the cost to local taxpayers for clean and reliable drinking water,” said Hutchinson.

In order to prevent water outages and increase reliability of service, Clintonville Borough Sewer and Water Authority will receive $3.16 million to install a new 100,000-gallon water tank as the current tank is at the end of its life span. According to PENNVEST, 85% of this funding is a grant while the remaining 15% is a loan.

The authority’s system serves approximately 257 residential customers in the Borough of Clintonville and Clinton Township with median household income levels below the state median household income level. User rates are expected to increase approximately 26%. If grant funding were to be excluded in this package, the authority’s user rates would have increased by nearly 116%.

Sandycreek Township was awarded a $904,600 loan to go toward pump station improvements. According to township officials, all pump station controls will be replaced with a modern Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System, and electrical wiring at each of the township's 16 pump stations will be updated for code compliance. The upgrades will enable remote monitoring capabilities, which will result in faster response times when issues arise during day-to-day operation.

Sandycreek Township provides service to 531 households and conveys wastewater to the General Authority of the City of Franklin for treatment. User rates are expected to increase by roughly 4%.

Founded in 1988, PENNVEST provides grants and low-interest loans for design, engineering and construction of publicly and privately owned drinking water distribution and treatment facilities, as well as storm water and wastewater projects.

Representative R. Lee James
64th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives

Media Contact: Nate Temple